As a victim you have the right to ask why things have gone wrong for you and to have those things put right. You should never be made to feel that you’re asking for special treatment.

When to complain

You can complain to a criminal justice agency (like the police or probation service) if you’ve been:

  • treated unprofessionally, disrespectfully or insensitively
  • discriminated against for any reason – for example, because of your age or gender

Read about your rights under the Victims Code.

Who to complain to

Make your complaint directly to the organisation you’re unhappy with.

You should get an acknowledgement or a full response within 10 working days.

Courts, sentencing, prison and parole

Criminal Cases Review Commission

Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)

Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS)

Her Majesty’s Prison Service

Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service

Parole Board

UK Supreme Court


All police forces in England and Wales, the British Transport Police and the Ministry of Defence Police

Independent Police Complaints Commission

National Crime Agency

Police and Crime Commissioners


Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

First-tier Tribunal (Criminal Injuries Compensation)

Victims and witness support

Witness Care Units

Other organisations

Competition and Markets Authority

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (Criminal Enforcement)

Environment Agency

Financial Conduct Authority

Gambling Commission

Health and Safety Executive

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

Home Office (Immigration Enforcement)

Information Commissioner’s Office

Natural Resources Wales

Office of Rail and Road

Serious Fraud Office

Youth Offending Teams

If you’re not satisfied with the response

If the organisation doesn’t respond or you’re not satisfied with the response, ask your MP to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Have your say

Please be aware that the Victims’ Commissioner can’t champion individual cases or challenge criminal justice agencies to make different decisions.

However, we’re here to listen if you’re willing to tell us what went wrong. Your experience can help us campaign for better services for victims.