Annual report of the Victims’ Commissioner 2021 to 2022
Contact us if you need this publication in another format.
The third Annual Report from Dame Vera Baird QC covers the period from April 2021 to March 2022.
Marking the end of her first term as Commissioner, Dame Vera Baird QC reflects on her three years as Commissioner and the challenges facing victims and the justice system. This report includes:
- Dame Vera Baird’s vision for expanding victims’ rights and reconceptualising the role of victims within the justice system;
- Dame Vera sets out what is needed in the upcoming Victims’ Bill to transform the victim experience of the criminal justice system;
- Dame Vera Baird reflects on the state of policing of violence against women and girls;
- A deep dive into the investigation and prosecution of rape within England and Wales and policy changes that are required;
- An examination of how the justice system treats victims of fraud;
- An update on the Crown Courts backlog and how the impact this has on victim.
Additional articles on: