Are you OK with cookies?

We use small files called ‘cookies’ on Some are essential to make the site work, some help us to understand how we can improve your experience, and some are set by third parties. You can choose to turn off the non-essential cookies. Which cookies are you happy for us to use?

Skip to content

Get support

If you or someone you know is in danger, please call 999. If it is not an emergency but you need help from the police, please call 101.

Whilst the Victims’ Commissioner cannot help with individual problems, there are many specialist organisations offering information, advice and support.

The Victim and Witness Information website helps victims and witnesses of crime in England and Wales to find support in their local area. This includes:

  • emotional support and counselling
  • finding somewhere safe to stay
  • finding someone to speak for you and get the help you need
  • specialist support for different crimes, including domestic abuse and sexual violence
  • information on what happens after reporting a crime, the people you might meet, and the support you should get
  • how to complain if something goes wrong
  • how to claim compensation

You can also call the 24 hour free Victim Support Line on 08 08 16 89 111 or visit their website for more information about how to get in touch and find support.

If you are going to court as a victim or witness, you can get advice, information and support from the Citizens Advice Witness Service.