Are you OK with cookies?

We use small files called ‘cookies’ on Some are essential to make the site work, some help us to understand how we can improve your experience, and some are set by third parties. You can choose to turn off the non-essential cookies. Which cookies are you happy for us to use?

Skip to content

How to complain

As a victim or witness, you have the right to ask why things have gone wrong for you and to have those things put right.

The Victims’ Code and Witness Charter set out the minimum standard of service you should expect to receive at each stage of the criminal justice process.

If you are not happy with your experience, or if you have not received your entitlements under the Victims’ Code, you can complain directly to the agency or service provider.

Who to complain to

Make your complaint directly to the organisation that you are unhappy with. The Victims’ Commissioner cannot complain on your behalf as they are prohibited from helping with individual cases.

You should get an acknowledgement or a full response within 10 working days.

If you are not satisfied with the response

If you do not get a response, or you are not satisfied with the reply, you can ask your MP to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman make final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments and other public organisations. They do this fairly, without taking sides, and their service is free.